Sunday, April 18, 2010

Look Ma, BOTH Hands!

Ok, I'm trying not to get overly excited, but I wanted to let you know that I can do a little art now.  In all fairness, these pics were taken before the surgery, but I have been working on this journal inside and out.  I've embellished the cover a lot more (which now I'm not sure was the right idea)... it's pretty "crowded" now.  I am being very careful not to strain my right arm, but I have to work on something before I go nuts. 

I'm in love with this journal because it is an old "checkbook"!  Joy has a ton of them, and I need to buy more from her because they are so cool. 
It was just plain cardboard on the covers, which I embellished with vintage wallpaper, paint, etc.  Then, I taped watercolor paper onto the pages of check stubs, and voila!  I know some people would be pickier, but I like the look of masking tape, etc.  The shabbier the better!
I will share some inside pages with you, but I must show you my Grandson's page.  He did this in March, right after I put the journal together. 

See, we both believe in finding gold at the end of a rainbow!  I think it's pretty awesome for 1st grade.  I look at him through "Grandma colored glasses" of course.  Great job, Brock and thank you for helping me to break in my new "old" journal!

Love,


post signature (aka Mimi)

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back to "work". I like that checkbook idea for a journal, did you glue paper to each page to give it more weight or glue checks together or just go for it? Don't kids make the best art? It is so free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are feeling better to start creating it is food for the soul. Take care and continue to heal. Hugs Florence

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is beautiful, I am a foller of your blog and didnt remember you did the soldering, beautiful work my goodness... I'll have to get you to make some paris inspired ones for my paris rags website with little lace pieces and french ladies :) And that is my 2 cents worth lol luv that :) hugsxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see you up and around and using both hands (however carefully!)! And what a great idea for a journal- love your Grandson's entry BTW!
    Cheers!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

My 2 cents worth: